Protection and Conservation of Biodiversity
- Has the client addressed the impacts on biodiversity?
- Will critical habitat be impacted by the client’s activities? “Critical habitat” includes areas with high biodiversity value (e.g. habitat required for the survival of endangered species)
- Will legally protected areas, i.e. areas designated for the protection or conservation of biodiversity (e.g. natural parks, game reserves, etc.) be impacted by the project?
- Has the client identified any alien species which may be introduced through its activities?
Management of Ecosystem Services
- Has the client identified the benefits that people obtain from ecosystems ? (e.g. food, fiber, fresh water, fuel wood, biochemicals, genetic resources – disease regulation, water regulation, water purification – spiritual and religious aspects, recreation and ecotourism)
Sustainable Management of Living Natural Resources
- Has the client obtained independent certification to ensure that natural forests and plantations are being managed sustainably?
- Has the client obtained independent certification of the sustainable management of natural resources, or provided other independent studies to slow these resources are sustainably managed?
- Has the client systems and verification practices in place to identify where the supply is coming from and the habitat type of this area?
- Does the client assure and allow for an ongoing review of its primary supply chains?