PS 2: Labor and Working Conditions
Key Questions to be addressed during due diligence:
Working Conditions and Management of Worker Relationship
- Does the client have an HR policy and procedures in place which reflects the main issues below?
- Has the client documented and communicated working conditions and terms of employment to all workers directly contracted?
- Has the client implemented a grievance mechanism for workers?
- Does the client allow workers to form and join workers organizations and bargain collectively?
- Does the client have procedures in place that avoid discrimination?
- Does the client anticipate retrenchment of a significant number of employees? If yes, is there a retrenchment plan in place?
Protecting the Work Force
- Does the client ensure that child or forced labor is not used?
- Does the client check the ages of employees?
- Does the client ensure that young workers are not employed in dangerous work and have the possibility to attend school?
Occupational Health and Safety
- Does the client provide its workers with a safe and healthy work environment?
- Does this include providing workers with personal protective equipment (PPE)?
- Does the client conduct appropriate monitoring and inspections to ensure worker safety?
- Does the client track rates of injury, occupational diseases, lost days and number of work-related fatalities?
- Does the client have a fire, life and safety plan?
Workers Engaged by Third Parties
- Do the subcontractors have an appropriate E&S Management system in place?
- Does the client monitor the performance of the sub-contractors?
- Does the subcontracted workforce have access to the client’s grievance mechanism?
- Has the client identified child labour / forced labour issues in the supply chain and if so has the client taken appropriate steps to remedy them?
- Does the client sufficiently address significant safety issues in the supply chain?