PS 3: Pollution Prevention and Abatement
Key Questions to be addressed during due diligence:
Note: Unlike for most other Performance Standards, it is necessary to consult the respective IFC EHS Guideline for further guidance.
Resource Efficiency (including green house gases and water consumption)
- What kind of resources does the client use (including energy, water, raw material)?
- What are the client’s green house gas emissions (direct plus indirect from purchased electricity)?
- If emissions exceed 25,000 tons CO2 annually, does the client conduct annual monitoring?
- Does the client monitor air and water emissions, noise as well as ambient air quality?
- Are these emissions in line with the values as specified in the respective IFC EHS Guidelines?
- Does the client have procedures for storage, handling, and disposal of wastes (both solid and liquid)?
- Does the client treat effluents prior to disposal and are effluent levels in line with IFC EHS Guidelines?
- Does the client have adequate procedures for storage, handling and disposal of hazardous materials?
Pesticide Use and Management
- Will pesticides be used?
- Are the pesticides packaged appropriately and labeled?
- Are the pesticides handled, stored, applied, and disposed of in accordance with good international industry practice?
- Are any of the pesticides in use considered as extremely hazardous or highly hazardous?